with fresh milled and flaked organic oats
Inspired my Icelandic grandmother's beloved family recipe. Thin, rich and crispy, just like Ammma used to make, and with our fresh ground oats and organic cane sugars, they might even be better than the original, and certainly healthier. By the way, that's me and Amma in the fall of '61.
- 1 bag GRAINSTORM All Oatmeal Cookie Mix
- Got a home grain mill? Make our mix at home - SHOW
Mill your own heritage oatmeal cookie mix
- 85 g (3 oz) organic oat groats, milled fine
- 255 g (9 oz) organic oat groats, flaked
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tbsp organic Sucanat®
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
Weigh out your oats
Mill about 25% at finest setting
Flake the rest with an oat flaker
- 2 large eggs
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup fine shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F, lightly grease cookie sheets
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Other ingredients: prepare and combine with wet mix in the large bowl
- Final batter: combine dry and wet mixes, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- Let stand for 30 to 60 minnutes so the oats can absorb the liquid.
- Spoon out 12 small cookies to a sheet (not too close, cookies will spread) and press them down thin
- Bake 9-12 minutes, or until nicely browned top and bottom.
- Remove from oven and after 5-10 miinutes remove to cooling rack
- Store in cookie jar or freezer; not in the fridge or in an air-tight container
Makes 48 small wonderful cookies
Increasing both butter and sugar by 25%-50% will make a richer, crisper, and of course sweeter variation with even more lovely carmel tones.