with fresh milled Kamut (Khorasan wheat)
Freshly ground kamut has a beautiful soft, buttery flavour, and when milled just a notch less than fine, produces a satisfying texture that will remind you of cornbread. This base recipe can go sweet or savoury, from jalapeño cheddar cornbread to a lovely base for a wholesome shortcake dessert.
- 1 bag GRAINSTORM Golden Quick Bread Mix
- Got a home grain mill? Make our mix at home -
Mill your own heritage golden quickbread mix
- 400 g (14 oz) organic Kamut® kernels
- 5 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder (non-GMO)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
Weigh out grain and mill at 2nd finest setting
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F, use convection if you have it; lightly grease 9" square cake pan
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add remaining ingredients and whisk smooth
- Final batter: combine dry and wet mixes, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- Fill cake pan, sprinkle with sanding sugar if desired
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the tops JUST spring back. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven, set in pan for 15 minutes, then remove to cooling rack
Makes one large pan