with fresh milled Kamut® (Khorasan wheat)
Ever since I was served cheddar cheese on apple pie during a trip down south I've been a little obsessed with the sweet & savoury combo. This recipe makes a buttery, cornbread-like muffin with sharp cheddar, aromatic thyme and a lightly sweet apple flavour-- you just can't go wrong! Amazing with chili or chèvre.
- 1 bag GRAINSTORM Golden Quick Bread Mix
- Got a home grain mill? Make our mix at home - SHOW
Mill your own heritage golden quickbread mix
- 400 g (14 oz) organic Kamut® kernels
- 5 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder (non-GMO)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
Weigh out grains and mix together evenly; mill at finest setting
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ stick (6 tbsp) butter, melted
- 1¾ cups plain yogurt
- 2 medium apples, washed and grated, skin on
- 1 ¼ cup shredded or chopped cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp dried or fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F, use convection if you have it; lightly grease or set papers in 12-16 muffin cups
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add butter and yogurt and whisk until smooth
- Other ingredients: prepare and combine with wet mix in the large bowl; reserve ¼ cheese
- Final batter: combine dry and wet mixes, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- Fill muffin cups and top each with a pinch of shredded cheese and a sprinkle of thyme
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden and tops JUST spring back. Do not over bake or muffins will be tough
- Remove from oven, set in pans for 5-10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack
Makes 12-16 muffins
- The cheese on top will brown faster and darker than the muffin. That's ok!
- Just make sure the muffin has finished baking, but the cheese doesn't burn.
- Anything that won't be eaten within 24 hours should be refrigerated or frozen.