with fresh milled organic Spelt, Kamut® & Oats
This is a home-milled ancient grain twist on classic chocolate chip cookie base. The three fresh grains bring complexity of flavour to the cookie dough, and kamut especially adds a unique snap to the texture. These may well become a staple in your house, as they quickly did in ours. A deliciously satisfying chocolate chip cookie with a unique rustic appeal.
- 1 bag GRAINSTORM Rustic Cookie Mix
- Got a home grain mill? Make our mix at home - SHOW
Mill your own rustic cookie mix
- 200 g (7 oz) organic spelt kernels
- 85 g (3 oz) organic Kamut® kernels
- 60 g (2 oz) organic oat groats
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 2 tbsp organic Sucanat®
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
Weigh out grains and mix together evenly; mill at finest setting
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup premium quality chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F, lightly grease cookie sheets
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Other ingredients: prepare and combine with wet mix in the large bowl
- Final batter: combine dry and wet mixes, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- form golf-ball sized balls, laying out 12 to a cookie sheet then flatten each ball (with your hand, a fork or a greased glass bottom)
- Bake 14-18 minutes, or until nicely browned top and bottom.
- Remove from oven and after 5-10 miinutes remove to cooling rack
- Store in cookie jar or freezer; not in the fridge or in an air-tight container
Makes 24 large cookies
Increasing both butter and sugar by 25%-50% will make a richer, crisper, and of course sweeter variation.