with fresh milled organic Spelt, Kamut & Oats
These are our base pancakes, and we’ve had many people tell us they are the best they’ve ever had. The freshly milled blend of grains gives them a beautiful complex flavour, yet they are surprisingly light tasting. We have yet to meet a kid that didn’t like them. Plus, they fill you up and keep you going with no blood sugar crash—an honest wholesome breakfast at its best.
- 1 bag GRAINSTORM Ancient Grain Pancake Mix
- Got a home grain mill? Make our mix at home - SHOW
Mill your own heritage pancake mix
- 285 g (10 oz) organic spelt kernels
- 85 g (3 oz) organic Kamut® kernels
- 85 g (3 oz) organic oat groats
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder (non-GMO)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
Weigh out grains; mix together evenly and mill at finest setting. Stir in remaining dry ingredients.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1¾ cups plain yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat griddle or heavy frying pan to medium
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Other ingredients: prepare and combine with wet mix in the large bowl
- Final batter: combine dry and wet mixes, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth. Batter will be thick (you can thin it out with milk if you like)
- To cook: laddle on to greased pan, spreading gently before pancake sets (use a circular motion). Flip when golden, remove when JUST firm. Do not overcook or pancakes will be tough.
- Serve immediately on warmed plates, or hold in warm oven.
Leftover pancakes freeze very well and can be warmed up quickly on busy mornings by defrosting the microwave and then heated in the toaster.