with fresh milled and flaked organic Oats
These are oatmeal cookies for the purest. Our base recipe uses no wheat flour, just freshly milled oat flour and fresh cold rolled organic oats, supported by the rich molasses flavours of Sucanat. Plus, this recipe calls for the minimum sugar required to form up into a cookie, about half of what is typical...and they are plenty sweet for most folks. The result is the most oaty-delicious cookie you can imagine, and a great base for all kinds of variations. So delicious and versatile, we made a cookie mix out of it!
- 1 bag GRAINSTORM All Oatmeal Cookie Mix
- Got a home grain mill? Make our mix at home - SHOW
Mill your own heritage oatmeal cookie mix
- 85 g (3 oz) organic oat groats, milled fine
- 255 g (9 oz) organic oat groats, flaked
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tbsp organic Sucanat®
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
Weigh out your oats
Mill about 25% at finest setting
Flake the rest with an oat flaker
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter, melted
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optionally add up to 2 cups (total) of any of the following: dark chocolate, nuts, dried fruit, shredded coconut, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, lightly grease cookie sheets
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Other ingredients: prepare and combine with wet mix in the large bowl
- Final batter: combine dry and wet mixes, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- Let stand for 30 to 60 minnutes so the oats can absorb the liquid.
- Spoon out 12 to a sheet; you can press them down if you want thinner and crisper
- Bake 11-14 minutes, or until nicely browned top and bottom.
- Remove from oven and after 5-10 miinutes remove to cooling rack
- Store in cookie jar or freezer; not in the fridge or in an air-tight container
Makes 24 to 36 cookies
Increasing both butter and sugar by 25%-50% will make a richer, crisper, and of course sweeter variation with more lovely carmel tones.